1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting Us!
Welcome to FPS24/7

FPS24/7 is a free gaming community for fans of First Person Shooter's and anyone who likes to jib-jab ! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community of users, it takes less than 30 seconds! Everybody is welcome here. This Notice will disappear once Registered!

Click here for a FREE account

Can someone explain Host advantage?

Discussion in 'Call of Duty Ghosts Multiplayer Discussion' started by shotty187, Jan 22, 2014.

Afflicted with F.P.S.A.D.?

Welcome to FPS24/7, The supreme medication for the relief of chronic First Person Shooter Addiction Dis-order! We're here to help 24/7!
Join fellow FPS addictsORLog-In
  1. shotty187

shotty187 Recruit

Hey guys, title pretty much explains! Does being the host give you an advantage/disadvantage? And if so is it relevant to Ghosts?

Thanks if anyone can clear this up for me

2. Keef

Keef Ooouusshhhhh!

Ive got about 2 mins to type up this in a brief way before i get back to work.

But in a non technical way, Host advantage in most Peer to peer online games is apparant because In online gaming, when a player who hosts the lobby or server has the advantage due to him having no network lag to himself since he hosted. Where as on dedicated servers everyone connects to a server (not a player in game) so everyone should be on the same connection to create a more fair experience.

3. Shotgun883

Shotgun883 Colonel

I really dont think its healthy to tell you. Partially because its a misnomer as host disadvantage can be just as true.

Also the more clued into the faults of COD people are the more people bitch about the faults. Everyone loved their first COD because they had no expectations and a lower knowledge of the problems. Once you get a decent level of skill every death must be BS, you start fitting every problem you know about into the situation you see. Its like if you dont watch kill cams, you dont get frustrated at them, you ignore how much of a douchbage someone seems to be playing the 5 seconds before they killed you. If you obsess over them its easy to get angry.

If you are looking for Lag Comp, you will see it. Its like COD Munchhausens Disease. Stop looking for faults in the game and just enjoy the experience, if your still not enjoying it quit and play something else.

4. Henry06x

Henry06x General

^^ [MENTION=31747]Shotgun883[/MENTION] This is very true. The more you know, the more you play, the more you understand, and THE MORE YOU HEAR OTHERS SAY the more you start to realize the faults.

As for the what host advantage or disadvantage is. In short the Host console, or person who console the connection for everyone is based off of, usually gets a slight advantage over other players in the room because everything is based off of their internet. Every bullet registers, character animations are the closest match to where they are in reality, and other things in this nature. Bullet registration and hit detection are the two things effected most for the host. Now if you factor in Lag Comp it can actually turn some peoples advantage into a disadvantage. That's because Lag Compensation, in theory, tries to time up everyone in the lobby's internet connection. Depending on how your, saying your host, internet transmits, receives, and disperses this information (for a lack of better terms) can almost slow you down compared to everyone else.

The way connections, Lag Comp, and host all work together is a very complicated process that most wont probably will never understand. I know I understand it in a limited way and the rest is way beyond my current understanding.

5. Shotgun883

Shotgun883 Colonel

Its funny when you hear one guy in the squad moaning about lag and suddenly everone is moaning about how shit the game is. It can be really frustrating to play like that. It can lead to playing on tilt too, you get frustrated, start playing differently, making stupid decisions and it spirals from there.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  6. shotty187

shotty187 Recruit

Just so you know I enjoy the game and am not looking to moan or find faults and am after a bit of clued up info , I just seem to be host 9/10 times and havent really had any lag issues, just people on xbl seem to rage alot when I play them, screaming bullshit and Im only ripping up cos im host. Just wondering if they have a point lol

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  7. Shotgun883

Shotgun883 Colonel

They are the victims of too much info, the rage blaming lag rather than luck or a lack of talent. Simple. Haha, just enjoy smashing them, the No1 thing in this game is Hate Mail. There is simply nothing better than seeing recieved message whilst playing and reading badly spelt bile poured out as someone lost his shit at dying so much.

8. TomOnDuty

TomOnDuty honey badger

My understanding of host advantage is this . How good or bad it is for you is dependent on the quality of everyone else's connection . Driftor had a very detailed vid about it .

Everything gets sent to you, so what you see on your screen will be ahead of what I see cause you signal goes right to the game mine has to travel to you ,then to the game . This will usually give the host the advantage cause they will always be a millisecond ahead of the entire lobby . Lag comp adds a delay to the host to compensate . At least that how it's supposed to work .

9. EVERYONEDIES

EVERYONEDIES Lieutenant General

Sometimes I think when you are host you can have a godly game 40-50 kills and under 10 deaths or when you host you get slapped with lag comp and you end up going 10-24. I personally have quit in both of those situations too see the host migration pop up. The beastly game I quit on was due to the wife and I have quit a few game where my side shows me landing 2-3 shots and kill cam show me not hitting anything I quit those game because there is nothing I can do to overcome that.

10. w2gMk

w2gMk All my pokemon have TM 87

Host advantage in a nutshell: CoD used peer to peer servers. That means the person with the best connection: 100up-20down as opposed to everyone else being 5 up-2 down, will be the host. Every one connects to him, so what they do goes to him, and what he does goes to everyone else. I think of that like someone talking. The talker knows what he is saying, while everyone else has to wait to know what he said and react. The developers put in a bit of an equalizer, to try and make the host not have the biggest advantages. It is called lag comp.

Now, every multiplayer has lag comp. It is NEEDED to make character models, fit with hitboxes and stuff like that. However, recently the specific ping equalizing part of the codes, has been screwing the host alot, based on the person who has the absolute worst lag in the game. If someone from say... mexico, who probably doesnt have good internet compared to maybe, a comcast connection, will have a higher ping to the host than everyone else who is playing in canada. To make it a bit fair for the mexican, playign against the canadians, the game, makes the host have proportional lag. Everything he does is still at 0 ping, but the game forces a delay on what he does. If the mexican has a 70ms ping, the host will be forces to have about... 30 or 40ms ping so the mexican can have a slightly better expiriance, while the host has that 30-40 ping against everyone in the lobby.

Games like CoD:W@W, or MW2, did not have such high measures of this issue. It first started becoming relevant in the bo1-mw3 era, and has gone with each game since.

I wasnt around for the bo1/mw2 era, as mw3 was my first CoD, but after a while, I came here, and began reading posts by the aboa's and various members, and now, I can hardly enjoy the damn games now, knowing that the reason I died is because I have a better connection on my 4 bar than a guy with his 2 bar, after I shot first with perfect accuracy.
    EDIT: I forgot, I can enjoy the game.... if im in a party, and i am not the host of the party.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  11. TomOnDuty

TomOnDuty honey badger

[MENTION=38274]w2gMk[/MENTION] mw2 plays almost exactly like ghosts ttk is super fast and the perk balance sucks dick

This is what I was trying to explain in my post , the reason that happened is cause as the host you become dependent on the quality of the other people in the lobby Internet quality . You will often here a guy say he has better games when he plays on his wifi hotspot . Bo2 had that feature that you can search for equal Internet partners , it specifically said if you have bad Internet connection to use normal , not better or best .

12. w2gMk

I have played mw2... Got it during mw3's life. I liked the acr besides it always giving 3 hit kills up close with sp... I broke the disk cause i get pissed when im spawned in a tdm game and get tubed 9 times within 3 seconds of spawning.

13. Shizer

Shizer Prestige Master

I've found host to be a massif disadvantage when in a full party.....not so much in ghosts but in mw3 and bo2 it was horrible for me. 9/10 that i backed out i was hosting and many people can vouch for that.

Onto ghosts.........i haven't seen one host migration and I haven't had to back out due to faulty connection once. I dont know if i get in the "dedicated" servers more often than not or what but it's been pretty good for me

14. w2gMk

there's host migrations in ghosts????

15. TomOnDuty

TomOnDuty honey badger

I can imagine playing after its prime to be quite frustrating , I am sure there were also hacks then too.

Back then I was a noob and I used the tube . Often .

16. Gunzby

Gunzby Lieutenant General

Best I can describe host advantage is that you have near 100% hit registration. That means you're popping ppl off and in this game extremely fast. That of course doesn't mean you're host, but that's as best as I can describe it.

I haven't really paid attention to whether or not I am host. The only time I know is when I back out and I see the migration. I obviously had no advantage in those games.....actually it was far from fair for me

17. Shotgun883

Shotgun883 Colonel

The problem with blaming host is that you ONLY see the bad. The only way to know if you are host is to quit and see the host migration, You dont see the times when you are getting the advantage becasue you dont quit out of those games. Bad games get blamed on Bad Hit Reg and Lag Comp (Host disadvantage). Good games get fawned over as the game actually working properly, and thus your skill is shown as it should.

I rarely get host migrations when I quit out of games, but that doesnt stop me having bad connections on occasion.

18. dasgrossehund

dasgrossehund Recruit

As it has been said before, you will never hear anyone say anything good about host advantage or lag comp. When it is in your favour you will just think you are a beast at COD, tearing everything you see apart. The problem is the person you are killing is getting the bad side of host adv/lag comp, but no one wants to admit they had an advantage over the opposition, it is because they outplayed them.

I have had more than enough games as host where I get destroyed, I also know fully well that the games I go 55-2 are mainly due to an advantage. And also 1 thing to bare in mind, internet speed or ping has nothing to do with you get an advantage or disadvantage. I have 120mb connection with less than 20ms ping to anywhere in Europe, yet I still get bad games. It is all down to the other players in the lobby and their connection to you.

19. Prozey

Prozey <span style="background: url(http://cod247.com/img

After playing on 0 ping internet this weekend, I noticed a huge difference when hosting. I ate bullets. Usually I die in 1-4 bullets not matter what gun it is, but that great internet really helped me.

20. erikiksaz

erikiksaz Recruit

I don't know if it's just me, but when I used to be host in MW3, you could tell that things were just more fluid. There was more fluidity in the movement, and fewer bullets to kill. Plus, when people joined your lobby, you were usually the host (given that you have a good connection).

Nowadays with ghosts, rarely do people ever join my lobby. I always get thrown into other lobbies. And under those circumstances, I am fairly sure that I'm not host. ARs take a few bullets to kill at close-mid range, whereas SMGs can take up to several bullets.

Sometimes you land yourself on the better side of the latency, other times you get the shitty end of the stick.

And now that I think about it, I leave mid-game pretty often (usually to party up with friends, I'm not much of a rage-quitter). I have yet to see the host-migration screen in the past 3 months.