1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting Us!
Welcome to FPS24/7

FPS24/7 is a free gaming community for fans of First Person Shooter's and anyone who likes to jib-jab ! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community of users, it takes less than 30 seconds! Everybody is welcome here. This Notice will disappear once Registered!

Click here for a FREE account

LAG k/d ratio

Discussion in 'Modern Warfare 3 Multiplayer Discussion' started by Shiitake, Apr 18, 2012.

Afflicted with F.P.S.A.D.?

Welcome to FPS24/7, The supreme medication for the relief of chronic First Person Shooter Addiction Dis-order! We're here to help 24/7!
Join fellow FPS addictsORLog-In
  1. Shiitake

Shiitake Recruit

Judging by a plethora of posts and game lobby whining, it seems that the bane of everyone's virtual existence is lag and lag compensation. Perhaps i'm playing devil's advocate here, but i"ll say that while it's not perfect, at least the developers attempted to mitigate host advantage.

My main point though is that, sure, we've all died unjustly to lag....but how many kills have we all been granted because of the the enemy's lag? If Internet speed was not a factor, perhaps everyone's disadvantages due to lag equals their advantages.

Also, call me an egalitarian, but if Internet speed was directly proportionate to your pub lobby speed, then people with more money would pay for beast Internet speeds and would unfairly be boasting higher k/d ratios. Sure people with more money can buy faster cars and even faster girlfriends (often times) but I'm glad that money can't buy you beastmode.

Does anyone agree?

2. PeanutsNL

PeanutsNL Captain

I dont know, what I do know is that the lag in this cod is worse then that of any other cod. I dont think this is due to lag compensation thow. I think the idea of lag compensation is fine if it does truly even the playingfield (I agree with you that pay to win is BS)...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  3. L4ntastic

L4ntastic Colonel

I would have to see the killcam from my enemy's perspective to figure that out, which I can't. Most of my kills I get because I positioned myself better, I flanked or had cover. I probably win about half of my 1 on 1, even gunfights. Considering I'm fairly skilled, and I often use perks and guns to give myself advantages in these situations, I should probably win more.

Overall the lag is not that bad in my experience. It's an online game, there's going to be some lag, no matter what. People just like to whine about how they were unfairly killed.

4. kforce-k4

kforce-k4 General

If Im having a decent connection then I would like to play against people with decent connections as well. If people are poor and cant afford 35mbps download, 5mbps upload speeds ... or some decent dsl for the matter, then they should play between them and embrace lag. Dont think about lag compensation as turning the match into an even field where everybody lags the same. 90% of the time, the guy with 3 bars and below is the one that is in god mode and is lagging to everyone. And being host is just a joke since you are running close to one second behind everyone lagwise.
    What are your speeds just for curiosity?
    Go to www.speedtest.net

• I like I like x 1
  5. RockerLOD

RockerLOD Human tripod

Try getting appointed as host 85-90% of the time..
    Especially when playing with my clan either Wholeshizer or myself get host.. both of us are decent players no way should we finish matches we host at the bottom of the scoreboard with a .5 k/d.. the lag comp system is a great idea in theory, but a broke ass piece of shit in reality. So in all due respect, your "people just like to whine about how they were unfairly killed" statement is only partially true.. people with speedy internet are punished by lag comp... Period. And it is a legitimate reason to get a lil frustrated imo..

6. DD

DD Devildriver

its stupid that the host gets compensated because that makes the host ragequit.

And what happens when the host ragequits??????????

7. n00by

n00by Oh Hia Friends

I think the whole lag comp system is bull Chitty chit

8. PeanutsNL

PeanutsNL Captain

Devil come on man, when the host quits a new host is selected genius haha :drunk: (host migration)

9. DD

DD Devildriver

Thats the point you nobhead, who wants fucking host migration all the time?

10. kforce-k4

kforce-k4 General

IW trololol!!!!

11. der Jonesinho

der Jonesinho Lieutenant General

The point is in previous titles 1 player had an advantage and people with shitty connection to the host a disadvantage. Now the host has a huge disadvantage and a lot of other people too. Mostly the players who pay for better internet. The old system was way better and much fairer and more reliable. If your a lagging you were lagging and had to search a new lobby. Now you can have a solid 4bar connection to the host and be on a disadvantage against splitscreeners, 3bar or below players, but not always. The mw3 is absolutly not reliable and that sucks the most. 1 godmode player can ruin every killstreak even when you have the jump on him. Thats because mw3 sucks balls. Groundwar was my favorite gametype in mw2 and blops, but now it is unplayable for me.

Btw 16MB down 1,2MB up

12. DD

DD Devildriver

Das stimmt!

13. Trolling Arts

Trolling Arts Lieutenant General

14. Razor777

Razor777 A pretty princess.

At least with 'lag' you knew where you stood, if you were connected to the host that had a crap connection then you would just sign out and find another game with more favourable conditions.

However now with this so called 'host advantage nerf' code it is hard to tell who is hosting and you can have a terrible game putting it down to piss poor lag and then quit only to find it was you who was hosting to begin with. And unlike the normal lag issue, host advantage nerf can be exploited by others who want to cheat the system (not by setting routers to moderate/strict nat etc but by downloading stuff while the game is working out latency metrics at the start) and then the game ultimately favours the cheaters.

Absolute madness.

15. L4ntastic

L4ntastic Colonel

I often play alone, so I can kinda dictate my connection. If it sucks, I just leave the lobby and join a new one. Even when I am host, the lag seems to be pretty manageable. I play on a wired connection with above average cable internet, so the fact that I don't have amazing internet might contribute to my lack of compensation. I've struggled in some games, but sometimes that's just the nature of CoD. I've never had a game where it was like "OMG I can't even go positive" because of lag, so I guess I can't comment on that. CoD is a twitch shooter, and milliseconds can make all the difference, but I can't help that people greatly exaggerate. And like I said, people always make excuses as to why they die (myself included), so I think that's kinda important to keep in mind. It's also important to keep in mind that every online game is going to have lag, compensation or not.

I agree that lag compensation isn't a bad idea, in theory. I remember back in MW2 if a good player was host, it was chopper gunners and AC-130s all day. I feel that if they multiplied it's effects by like .5, or capped it at like 35ms of induced lag (kinda just pulling these numbers out of my butt...) then it might work well, though there are several factors to lag that I don't understand.

I hope Black Ops 2 just ditches it. I'd rather deal with one player having host advantage. Like others have stated, without lag comp, what you see (3 bar, 4 bar, etc.) is what you get in terms of lag

16. Lag doesnt bother me, I know everyone hates it but when i lag, i just log off, find something else to do and come back a bit later.

17. nismo33

nismo33 Colonel

To be fair internet speed has pretty much nothing to do with your online gaming experience. If you want a true test of how good your connection for gaming is you need to go here www.pingtest.net. Anything less than grade a & you'll suffer.

Here's mine

[​IMG]

Also people ring up your isp & ask them to turn of interleaving. Makes a huge difference.

18. sweaty groat

sweaty groat Yorkshire Scum

It's host compensation,not lag compensation :p

All these people moaning about lag comp need to understand it only effects hosts. I can play fine on other peoples host with my 45Mb down. However on my own host im at a serious disadvantage.

19. l3acl_ass

l3acl_ass Command Sergeant

I thought lag compensation is adding delay to players with faster ping time to make everything even? So even if you're not a host there's still a delay if someone has slower ping time???

20. l3acl_ass

l3acl_ass Command Sergeant

This probably the reason why sometimes your bulltet is not registering because host is trying to delay the game???

21. EMUracing

EMUracing Command Sergeant

I think that the games engine is not efficient for multiplayer use. I started gaming online with Doom and Rogue Spear on PC back in the 56k dial up days, and it was pretty playable. Later when Raven Shield came out it was a huge improvement to Rogue Spear, and there was barely any noticeable lag (on slow cable at this point).

In general, I feel that the game developers overuse the connections, continue using buggy code perhaps... and then try to patch it up by compensating the lag to the slowest connection. I almost pulled the game out of my drive and broke the disc in half the other day due to the lag compensation. I think they should try to go back to the basics of the engine and reduce the amount of bandwidth required, design it for 56k, and it will run with very little lag on almost all cable speed. Of course this is easier said than done, but it CAN be done. Seriously, there is only 12 players in the game (besides ground war, which I will not play) they should be able to have it perform well for most connections.

Of course you have people on WiFi playing the game, they should suffer because they made that decision, not the guy who pays the extra $50 a month for a dedicated line, and hardwires his system... This makes them feel its ok to use an inferior connection, since it does not hurt them. This is the biggest flaw in the game, and if the next one is similar, I wont be buying it.

I REALLY would like to have a vote to kick from lobby installed. Occasionally I get into a lobby with a few friends, and we are paired up with a full squad. We have a pretty good battle going on, except for the one red bar guy... we need to be able to kick them, because most people will not leave the lobby even if asked nicely.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  22. kforce-k4

kforce-k4 General

[​IMG]

Better PING than yours and I get fucked everytime I host.
    Next?

23. R3dRocket11

R3dRocket11 General

Yeah I think that is a sham

[​IMG]

24. HumanMayhem

HumanMayhem 2nd Lieutenant

100% agree with this ^

I too feel that I shouldn't be punished for being able to afford a good internet provider. I feel I have a right to complain about this lag/lag comp bs, when I put 60 bucks down on a game that's called a first person shooter, and all I do is die, even when I know I should've gotten the kill. I understand it's a shooter, and that I will die. It's unavoidable. But dying when I know I should've gotten the kill, I will complain about that. I didn't drop 60 bucks on a shooting game, just to die constantly, and not get any kills! I bought it, because I would like to get a good amount of kills in a match. Not 1 or 2 with 10 deaths!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  25. OSUistheSHIZ

OSUistheSHIZ General

When the connection is good, my KD probably = 4+.

When the connection is subpar, my KD =~2.

26. Razor777

People doing the pingtest results - I assume you are using ethernet cable and not wireless as the results are completely different right?

27. LameFox

LameFox 1st Lieutenant

Lag compensation only bothers me when the ping is so high the lag would have been (at least) as annoying anyway. What's annoying is that there is a lobby and a host to begin with, instead of a server... I must spend as much time looking for a decent lobby as playing in the ones I find.

28. Brofski

Brofski Septic Schizo

You do know it's not to doing with being poor, right?

Some areas simply don't have quick internet yet.

Not everyone with 3 bars is at an advantage.

Unless you've played on a bad connection, hush your mouth. Because you have no clue.

29. Razor777

Seriously the guy is just a troll and I would just ignore him. Most of the UK is still limited to between 2-8MBit download speeds so obviously they must be poor.

30. der Jonesinho

der Jonesinho Lieutenant General

Thats another point, godmode against me is not godmode against other players on my team. Often people who i can't drop with a full clip are going negative. Absolutely unreliable game.

31. Brofski

Brofski Septic Schizo

Lol, that always happens for me haha.

The guy is negative, yet I CANNOT kill him.

Yet someone else in my party will moan about somebody else not dropping, yet I'm rinsing them.

This game makes zero sense haha

32. OG1-KENOBI

OG1-KENOBI Guest

When I get made host its like EVERYONE gets the jump on me no matter what. I quit the round and "Host Migration" pops up time and time again. I curse my open NATS setting. Funny thing however, I reinstalled BLOPS+ the maps today and everygame was Lag free and I had forgotten exactly how much i wnjoyed the blops MP. Coincidence? maybe , but I only reinstalled blops because I was so sick of shitty laggy games MW3 was serving me up.

33. kforce-k4

kforce-k4 General

Uhmm, yes.

Learn to read: "... or some decent dsl for the matter"
    So u dont even have 2~8MB download, 0.75~1.00MB upload speeds from your dsl provider?

Again, learn to read: "90% of the time, the guy with 3 bars and below is the one that is in god mode and is lagging to everyone"
    When did I say 100%?

I used to have dsl 7MB download, 0.75 upload speeds. Playability online was ok, but during peak hours it was just nasty. Then I switched to cable, started paying 3 times what I used to pay, and the difference was amazingly better. MW3 is one of the worst games one can use to show how online gaming works, or should work, with all this lag compensation, host nerf bullshit.
    Whatever you wanna think man. Enjoy your god mode ... u know its coz of ur L33T skills.

Yet you keep posting stuff here. Great feedback, champ!

34. Razor777

Yes, because I'm trying to help people by giving them a better understanding of the problem they are facing.

You on the other hand seem to delight in attempting belittle others or if that fails posting some pointless picture.

Which is something a bit worrying for a 36 year old man.

35. kforce-k4

kforce-k4 General

36? ... lol what a cute boy.

And like I said: "yet you keep posting stuff here"

Keep entertaining me kid. :biggthumpup:

36. DD

DD Devildriver

Damn, Kforce you are one cunt.
    I'd neg rep you if I had rep left.

37. Razor777

Nah he's just attempting to troll, doesn't bother me much as he obviously has nothing else going on in his life.

Just gotta find that ignore button. :lol:

38. IshTing

IshTing Stuff And Things

I've been saying this ever since he arrived.

39. NE0

NE0 Major General

yeah i think the bottom line is that mw3 is extremely inconsistant.

i've come to the realization, that in MANY cases, both players shoot each other enough to kill the other. then the programming "picks" a winner. that winner is not necessarily the person who shot first and/or more.

in general better connection heps. i haven't pulled host in a long time, and ive noticed drastic changes in many of the updates, so i feel my experience with host is invalid in any talks of the current condition.

with my new faster internet i can find games much more easily, and the horribly laggy games are fewer and farther between. definitely still there though. i also have a new friend i play with and ive noticed he has the 3bar god mode going on pretty heavy. maybe 1 in 10 lobbies he doesn't have it. don't get me wrong he is a decent player, but he just runs blindly around corners and i see him spin around and get kills in situations i know i would be dead.

in conclusion i think everyone has learned from lag comp, and can now admit that connection (lag/lagcomp) can play a huge part in the success of a player in cod games. to me that is a huge plus. that being said, fuck lag and lag comp. have a nice day.