1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting Us!
Welcome to FPS24/7

FPS24/7 is a free gaming community for fans of First Person Shooter's and anyone who likes to jib-jab ! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community of users, it takes less than 30 seconds! Everybody is welcome here. This Notice will disappear once Registered!

Click here for a FREE account

Make chat accessible while browsing through other sections of the forum.

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by GeneralMatsumoto, Jun 14, 2012.

Afflicted with F.P.S.A.D.?

Welcome to FPS24/7, The supreme medication for the relief of chronic First Person Shooter Addiction Dis-order! We're here to help 24/7!
Join fellow FPS addictsORLog-In
  1. GeneralMatsumoto

GeneralMatsumoto General

Do this and I will be able to fap peacefully at night.

• I like I like x 1
  2. Dexterosity

Dexterosity General

pretty good at typing with one hand?

3. Aaron

Aaron 4th Prestige

Pretty sure Pants said that having the chat box load on every page would just cause too much stress on the servers since the new chat box is a lot more to handle.

4. joal0503

joal0503 10th Prestige

how can chatbox overload a server?...unless of course that server happens to have loads of other things on it already...

but really...this is why the gods of the internet gave man browsing "tabs". use the power wisely.

5. Brofski

Brofski Septic Schizo

As an alternative, you can click the top diamond at the top and hit "detach" to open it up in a separate window/tab and use the normal window to browse the forum.

It's not the same I know, but it has the same effect.

I actually prefer it like that myself.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  6. Deadpool

Deadpool Back in the saddle again.

Bandwidth.

7. OG1-KENOBI

OG1-KENOBI Guest

Having the chat only on the one page makes it unusable for me as Im always skipping threw the threads so can never join in the conversation.

8. Aaron

Aaron 4th Prestige

Dat open new tab

9. kobe882

kobe882 General

I agree it was much nicer before. I access the site via my phone 75% of the time. Chat is basically unusable for me now if im browsing the forums.

10. NukeyPoo

NukeyPoo Banned

Bandwidth samwich.

Loading a chatbox does not use anywhere near the amount of bandwidth as the load itself. Me loading this thread actually probably used 8x more bandwidth than loading the chatbox.

11. OG1-KENOBI

OG1-KENOBI Guest

cbf..

12. Shizer

Shizer Prestige Master

But seriously ^we need chat box back to what it was before

13. Tandem

Tandem Guest

How possible is it to create a "light" form of the chatbox that can be enabled for mobile platforms and while browsing other pages? Perhaps you could have a single panel version without the separate tabs for notifications and systems. The active users list could just slot in as text at the bottom without a hyperlink, and disable images (both outside images and forum smilies).

This might be sufficient considering other efficiency improvements in the chatbox architecture (I think the previous chatbox had a timer-based refresh instead of input-based, for example).

14. Cytokine

Cytokine Lieutenant General

Yeah, I liked the way it was before better too :)

15. Cheesy

Cheesy Smell Ya Later

It would be nice to be able to see who's talking trash about me while I'm reading threads.

16. MeanMrMustard

MeanMrMustard General

don't worry cheesy it'll be me ;)

17. sweaty groat

sweaty groat Yorkshire Scum

Just open a second tab? It's what the cool kids do.

18. DD

DD Devildriver

Get the old chat back, I preferred it too

19. TPizzle

TPizzle I Piss Excellence

I want this too! I use to be in the chat box quite a bit but i think ive got like 5 shouts since it went home page only. Meh :(

20. Jewfro Samurai

Jewfro Samurai 7th Prestige

I like it the way it is. That way I'm not always distracted by what people say while I am reading a thread, keep it the way it is. It's a nuisance having to look at it every page I go to (I am aware that I can close it).

21. Statsheet

Statsheet 2nd Lieutenant

Kinda wondering how the chatbox would overload the servers also? What else is running on them besides this forum to cause it to do all of that?

22. Aaron

Aaron 4th Prestige

If it truly is that big a problem then PM Pants about it and try to get him to have it the way you like. As far as I know having the chatbox load on everyone's page causes a ton of stress on the servers which is something Pants wants to avoid. If it's a problem just make another page and detach the chat so you can search threads and chat at the same time. Split your screen so you can see threads and chat at the same time. Plenty of alternatives than just having Pants put more stress on the servers than is needed.

23. Tandem

Tandem Guest

A good question, and one that I asked myself a while ago. Consider the following:

- At this time, there are 58 members and 301 guests online. The guests can also view the chatbox.

- Chatbox is updated in real time, I believe. You could artificially lower the refresh rate to reduce the stress on your servers (less downloaded content), but this is a step backwards for functionality.

- Of all the people that are online, nearly 80% or so are viewing threads in forums (figure calculated about a week ago). Guests are more likely to be viewing threads than sitting on the home page, since there is nothing they can do on the home page.

- The old chat box, which was visible in all sub forums, was only visible to people who had gotten 50 posts, so fewer people could see it. This inherently reduced the stress on the servers.

A combination of these factors indicated why it doesn't pay to make the chat available on all pages. I have no clue whether this is the actual reason, you could PM Pants if you are interested. It doesn't make sense why you would want the chat to be enabled for non-members, especially the System Messages, Active Users, and Notifications. Since they aren't posting, those can't be relevant.

In terms of what uses up bandwidth, the images on the site are much more important than any text. All of the default user bars, your avatar, etc. are stored on the site's servers.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2012
  24. TPizzle

You heard the man change it back.

Lol kidding but seriously i dont see how it would overload anything. Only members would get to view it and they can view it on any thread. Since theres usually way less members online then guests, how could that be more stressful? If it is then fine, but an explanation would be nice.

Another thing, many members view this forum from their phone. Even if they have a decent smart phone, having a bunch of tabs open and running doesnt always work that efficiently. Not that i dont appreciate the cool shoutbox but it's just kind of a pain in the ass that its only available on the home page. I view this website from my phone and havent used the chatbox at all since its change. Kind of missing it

25. Justin_

Justin_ General

I believe it's safe to say people wouldn't mind going back to the old setup if you guys could give us that feature back. Jus' sayin

26. TPizzle

Or just do the old simple chatbox on all pages and the fancy shoutbox only on home page?

27. Statsheet

Statsheet 2nd Lieutenant

This. ^

28. kobe882

kobe882 General

Like many have said, opening tabs sounds great and all, but what about those who browse mainly from their smartphone? I'm screwed because I view from my phone 75% of the time.

• I like I like x 1