1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting Us!
Welcome to FPS24/7

FPS24/7 is a free gaming community for fans of First Person Shooter's and anyone who likes to jib-jab ! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community of users, it takes less than 30 seconds! Everybody is welcome here. This Notice will disappear once Registered!

Click here for a FREE account

PS4 Finally Gets External HDD Support With Upcoming Firmware Update

Discussion in 'Playstation Console Forum' started by OUTL4W, Feb 3, 2017.

Afflicted with F.P.S.A.D.?

Welcome to FPS24/7, The supreme medication for the relief of chronic First Person Shooter Addiction Dis-order! We're here to help 24/7!
Join fellow FPS addictsORLog-In
  1. OUTL4W

OUTL4W ______________

:Stream
    [​IMG]

The hard drives of both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 Pro can be swapped out for ones with more storage space. However, those who play regularly on PS4 will find that even having an HDD of 2 terabytes (the most a PS4 can be upgraded to) isn’t enough for all of their games and apps. Up until now, the system(s) haven’t had external HDD support, but that will soon change thanks to an upcoming firmware update.

When update 4.50 (code named Sasuke) launches, PS4 and PS4 Pro users will be able to use any external USB 3.0 HDD to store games and apps. Hard drives up to 8tb in size will be supported. Users will be able to download and install applications directly to an external drive. The saved content can be managed via the settings menu. Apps saved in an external HDD will show up in the Content Launcher of the Home Screen, making it easy for folks to keep track of what apps they recently launched.

[​IMG]

For PS4 users like myself, this is a godsend. I recently purchased a 2tb HDD for my PS4 Pro, but I know that I will fill it up by the end of the year. Being able to use an external HDD that can have 8tb of store space means that I and other PS4 gamers shouldn’t have to worry about space for a long time.

In addition to external HDD support, update 4.50 will give players the ability to set custom wallpapers — a feature that was oddly missing from the PS4. The update will also overhaul the PS4’s Quick Menu, simplify the Notifications app, allow users to post directly to the Activity Feed, and add 3D Blu-Ray support for PlayStation VR. You can read more details over on the PlayStation Blog.

A release date for firmware update 4.50 hasn’t been announced yet. Those who signed up for the firmware’s beta will get an early look at the new features starting today.

source...