1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting Us!
Welcome to FPS24/7

FPS24/7 is a free gaming community for fans of First Person Shooter's and anyone who likes to jib-jab ! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community of users, it takes less than 30 seconds! Everybody is welcome here. This Notice will disappear once Registered!

Click here for a FREE account

The Internet Speed/Upload & Download/Lag expirement

Discussion in 'Modern Warfare 3 Multiplayer Discussion' started by justa2e2, Jul 14, 2012.

Afflicted with F.P.S.A.D.?

Welcome to FPS24/7, The supreme medication for the relief of chronic First Person Shooter Addiction Dis-order! We're here to help 24/7!
Join fellow FPS addictsORLog-In
  1. justa2e2

justa2e2 Hardcore TDM...Mostly

So I have been wanting to do an expirement with regards to download/upload speeds and the varying effects to the lag in game. I probably have more room to play around with speeds than the majority of players as I have more advanced hardware than most people. So here is a brief synopsis of what I will be trying to accomplish. But first let me give you how my home internet is set up. Cable Modem>Cisco ASA Firewall>Cisco 2621XM Router>Buffalo Router.

Here is the following speeds I am going to be testing (feel free to throw some numbers out there if you would like me to try them for you):

50DL,10UL - Now - Almost no lag, 50/50 host
    25DL,5UL
    10DL,2.5UL
    5DL,1.25UL
    1.5DL,.75UL

I played with it a little bit a couple of days ago and got some pretty good results. I wasn't documenting anything so I can't really say how things went, but I can tell you that I have a sure fire way to make a host migration happen if I don't want to be host. So I will be back maybe later tonight with some results, but I will for sure post back tomorrow if I can't make it happen tonight. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to let me know.

2. kforce-k4

kforce-k4 General

This last patch actually fixed the matchmaking notably. I havent played too many 3 bar fuckers from the other side of the country ( US ), and lag is ussually good. Also I dont get host 99% of the time as before ... its a 50/50 like you tested. Problem is that when one is host, then the game becomes unplayable. IW should fix this host bullshit with a patch, and then finally we all can enjoy this game the way we were supposed to 8/9 months ago.

3. justa2e2

I still play 3/4 bar people daily. I haven't really had any lag to complain about. I am going to try and see how low I can go before I noticeably see any lag/difference.

4. w2gMk

w2gMk All my pokemon have TM 87

didnt a patch a little bit ago make matchmakin a bit better? like your not in chicago playin a host in russia no more...

5. justa2e2

Thats what I hear. This is just going to be a how low can I go expirement. I am willing to bet that I can get damn near 2.5D/L & .5U/L and still play with 4 bars. We will see.

6. TPizzle

TPizzle I Piss Excellence

Well thats because lag is only based on ping time. My internet speed is only 1.5dwn/1up but my pings are usually just as good as guys with 25+

Edit: Since im sure you have good quality internet service that delivers sonsistent pings, you probably wont notice lag no matter how low in speed you drop it

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  7. justa2e2

well yes thats what im thinking as well. I have dropped it down to 1DL and .5UL and still have 4 bars. Damn this expiriment. I'm going to see how low i can go tomorrow.

8. Profound619

Profound619 1st Lieutenant

Which leads back to my theory on location and the times you play. Play at 3 in the morning and you will have 3 bars I am sure. You will be thrown in lobby's far from your region. Play at 3 pm and you will have 4 bars because you are thrown in lobbies around your area, sometimes even locally.

If you don't believe me, have you ever joined a random game and found yourself in the same lobby as one of your friends who u know in real life?? That's how match making works. It's not based on speed or ping.

But I would love to know how to make host migration happen, just to know.

9. justa2e2

Your correct. That is how matchmaking works. But it is very much so based on connection/ping times. Now I don't know if the game takes jitter into account or not. But the reason location and time come into play is because if everyone in your city play COD you will never play with anyone from anywhere else because you are always going to be in the low ms ping times. If noboby in your city plays COD you will play in higher ms lobbies because you are leaving your local area with bumps up the time it takes for your packets to leave and come back.

10. justa2e2

Well ladies and gents I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I could not induce any lag into my games all the way down to 1Mb D/L .5U/L. I did however start to feel it when I dropped it down to 100kb d/l. I guess I have a lot of people around me in Texas.

11. TPizzle

TPizzle I Piss Excellence

Just like i said its not your speed its the quality of the service your getting

12. justa2e2

I know it's the quality of the lines. I was trying to see what the lowest speed I could setup and still play online without it being laggy.

13. sweaty groat

sweaty groat Yorkshire Scum

Over here in europe the matchmaking is still broken. I pull host and it adds french and spanish 3 bar kids ( who sponge really bad )

If everyone is on 4 bars it's fine,if everyone is on 3 bars its ok. ITS WHEN THERE IS BOTH 3 AND 4 BARS IN THE SAME LOBBY then there is serious issues.