1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting Us!
Welcome to FPS24/7

FPS24/7 is a free gaming community for fans of First Person Shooter's and anyone who likes to jib-jab ! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community of users, it takes less than 30 seconds! Everybody is welcome here. This Notice will disappear once Registered!

Click here for a FREE account

What Makes a Great Map?

Discussion in 'Call of Duty Ghosts Multiplayer Discussion' started by Mojo, Apr 8, 2014.

Afflicted with F.P.S.A.D.?

Welcome to FPS24/7, The supreme medication for the relief of chronic First Person Shooter Addiction Dis-order! We're here to help 24/7!
Join fellow FPS addictsORLog-In
  1. Mojo

Mojo 8th Prestige

And also what do you think are the greatest maps throughout your CoD experience? Diagrams would be welcome to describe what you like best about certain maps above others and what do you think is the fundamental difference between IW and Treyarch in map design? I don't subscribe to fanboyism - Heard it here first - but I lean slightly more toward Treyarch games in likeability, that's just me though. Would like it if you the community could expand your minds and state what exactly it is that makes you like certain maps rather than just a list of them, it's good to talk ;)

Having only started my love affair with CoD beginning with MW2 I can only go that far back and that game to me had the greatest maps I have played yet on any CoD game. There seemed to be a focal point in nearly every map -maybe barring Rust, Underpass, Quarry and Karachi- where everyone from each team would end up heading to and that focal point was usually the centre of every map. Nothing denotes this better than the map Wasteland, if you weren't skirting around the edges of the map with an IR scope, you were pretty much getting minced in the trenches and the bunker at the centre of the map. For this reason MW2 in my opinion had it right. Treyarch maps to me seem to be all the same, there are three passages to take at the start of every game, left, through the middle or right, and while I do like a lot of their maps, they very often tend to be based on this platform of flanking or direct routes. The community speaks volumes in the popularity of Nuketown and Hijacked, both brilliant maps I must say but to me nothing will be better than Afghan. There was so much going on in every game, no matter what mode and all of the map was utilised by everyone. The caves, the cliff then around the back of the cave, the downed aeroplane and the bunkers, it just had it all for me and you were never too far away from the action wherever you spawned which is remarkable given its size. So there you go, Afghan, for me is the greatest map I have played in a Call of Duty game. What's yours?

2. Dom

Dom under a paleblood sky

Out of the only two cod titles I have actively played (MW3 and BOII) I love these:

Dome
    Mission
    Village
    Standoff
    Raid
    Slums

If I had to pick one map alone it would probably be Mission, that's close to the most perfect map ever being made imho.
    It has everything: close quarters for shotgun (<3) or SMG action, long lines of sight for those who prefer AR's or snipers, different levels of altitude, great map design and a small enough size for continuous action packed games.

For best looking map I'd say BOII Yemen or Turbine or MW3 DLC map piazza, but they are just a tad too wide so they play too slow. Even more so, MW3 DLC map Liberation is probably one of the best looking maps ever to be made, but imo it was totally ruined by the sheer size.

So summing up, here's my diagram:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  3. Mojo

Mojo 8th Prestige

I loved Mission, I played a lot of Sabotage on MW3 and Mission was ruined by spawn trappers. Some games it was near impossible to move, there would be someone aiming waiting for you. Actually, that was the very reason I joined this forum, my first thread.

4. Dom

Dom under a paleblood sky

Oh yeah, spawn trapping was definitely an issue on a few MW3 maps, but when both teams would play correctly and not being twats Mission was incredible amounts of fun.

5. C4BTommy

C4BTommy Major

COD4 had the best designed and enjoyable maps imo

Crossfire, District, Backlot, Strike, Crash etc basically all the marine vs opfor maps.
    They worked perfectly in any game mode TDM, Dom, SnD and good sightlines for snipers good rush routes for shotgun and everything in between.

6. Im Not Very Good

Im Not Very Good Hungry Like The Wolf

I only managed a few hours on BO1 online, And didn't really start with the series until MW3. Good maps are subjective though I tend to rank maps not by how they look but how well I tend to do on them compared to others, This tend to reflect on what I vote for in any given lobby.

From MW3 I personally liked, Dome,Sea Town,Bootleg,Carbon,Hardhat and Mission. If I could still check I'd imagine they are the maps that I have the best K/D ratios on, Not that that's the be all and end all but you generally tend to like the maps you do well on.

There really wasn't much on BO2 I didn't like, Raid,Standoff,Yemen,Meltdown,Hijacked and Express were all maps I liked to play again probably not every ones cup of tea. Raid in my opinion was far and away the best map on BO2 unfortunately it did tend to get over played towards the end. As for Ghosts Freight,Octane,Warhawk,Sovereign and Strikezone are my personal favorites.

I don't think we'll ever see the perfect map, People tend to have different ideas of what exactly is perfect and even some of the more popular maps in the series will have people that didn't like them, My personal favorite maps so far is Raid I spent far too much time playing BO2.

7. wapntake

wapntake Major General

if i had to pick one it would be Afghan, followed closely by Standoff and mission.

8. Keef

Keef Ooouusshhhhh!

Cod 4
    Pipeline
    Backlot
    Ambush
    Crossfire
    District
    Crash
    Shipment
    Strike

MW2
    Karachi
    Skidrow
    Invasion
    Afghan
    Scrapyard
    Rust
    Terminal

MW3
    Bootleg
    Hardhat

BO2
    Hijacked
    Standoff
    Raid

Those for me are the standout maps that played well and that i really enjoyed. This is probably the reason i enjoyed MW2 and Cod 4 so much theres a clear winning in my choices on which games had the best maps. I did enjoy BO2 but some maps were just average as apposed to MW3's terrible maps.

If you think about the layout of some of the maps, I.E Backlot and crash they are both the same sort of thing a few buildings around the edges with some open ground and objects in the middle of the maps. Which had many routes, for the rushers and some great spots for the defensive type of player. These play great for all modes and especially Domination. The middle of the map is the B flag and for example on Backlot Cod 4 there were buildings either side of the B Flag which made it extremely difficult to capture but it added a good fast paced game trying to push for the flag, yet it had some extremely good spots to defend and protect it. The map is small-medium sized and its probably my favourite map of all time.

CoD 4 and MW2 also promoted rushing which most maps had lots of routes and many ways of getting around the campers and sneaking up behind people.

9. C4BTommy

C4BTommy Major

^Damn I forgot Ambush that was another great 1

10. theycallmeBruce

theycallmeBruce General

I think Favela was the name, I'm just throwing it out as I have a few favourite maps most from mw2 but that map sticks out when I try compiling an all time favourite. For Mojo's sake, my reasons were there was no real focal point but I remember always having the need to get there in a hurry. Good for a run, good for patrolling a corner or area and good for op kill streaks - and a counter for all of that. I could play like a champ or I could get my ass handed to me and mid game change it up and go alright by the end of it... or I could just get my ass handed to me all game. Regardless of how I ended up, I could use any class on this map and feel confident at the beginning of the game which I guess is a pretty good measurement for why I prefer this map over others.

11. Mojo

Mojo 8th Prestige

That's one of the longest posts I've seen in a long time!

12. Repeter

Repeter Sergeant

I am pretty forgiving of new maps and mostly just dig getting new environments to fight in. That said, one thing turns me off of a map the most quickly is one with a ton of cluttered shit on the ground. As a searcher by nature, all that crap gets me killed more often than on a map I don't have to constantly be looking down, just to make sure I can cleanly get around a corner.

Other than that, a couple things make me like a map: Unique environment, good areas for CQC and longer ranges, how well I personally fare on the map.

My top three from since I started CoD:

MW3: Favela, Rust, Trailer Park (fighting in a trailer park? Fuck yeah.)...I could add more here, as MW2 were my favorites...this might've just been because it was all new.

BO1: Firing Range, Grid, Hotel

MW3: Bakaara, Seatown, Interchange

BO2: Hijacked, Plaza, Slums

Ghosts: Strikezone, Freight, Warhawk

13. WaLkAwaY

WaLkAwaY Guest

• Few head glitch spots. Or none would be great.
    • Maps thoroughly gone through to get rid of other glitch spots trick areas and dead zones.
    • A finished map. One without floor spots to get stuck on and jutting invisible objects to get caught up on.
    • Chicken coops with at least 2 or more entryways that have to be covered.
    • Long site lines are nice for those that want to use snipers but you also have to have cover for getting through them.
    • Either fully explorable areas where if one part of the grass and bushes is enter-able on a map then it all should be.
    • Conversely rounded edges to maps where the players ability to hide in any type of foliage, rock formation junk pile is taken away. If you cannot do the former at least do the latter.
    • Dynamic weather and day cycle would have been nice and would have added a good amount of replay to these games as each map would have had the potential for several different weather and day/night cycles.

All I can really think of right now.

14. Repeter

Repeter Sergeant

^^Oooo, changing weather and day/night cycles would be the bomb.

15. n00by

n00by Oh Hia Friends

16. Matt23

Matt23 General

I really like the three lane map design that BO2 had. Maps like Raid and Standoff were really good maps and were fairly balanced for both teams/sides. I also like the maps to be fairly "clean", like i don't want to much clutter and random stuff all over the map.

17. Keyser Blowzé

Keyser Blowzé If u don't no, now u no

I think equality without symmetry. I tend to like complex textures and backgrounds but not clutter and hiding spots. I want maps to play to the advantage of the players with the best aim and reaction. Not the players who just want to be cunts and camp/headglitch.

There's nothing wrong with cover but you can't put it everywhere or people will just try to be sneaky and ambush other players. Not implying that being sneaky is a bad thing but I don't think that in most Cod game modes it is the gamestyle most conducive to a fun game for the majority of players.

Maps can be made that look very realistic, supply med/long sightlines, cqc and still minimize the pussy headglitches/camping spots that have really inundated these games. Of course part of it is the gotta have it now, look at how many people I killed while not giving a fuck about winning the game or playing like a good teammate cod mentality that permeates this society.

But also part of it is the devs enabling this type of gameplay/behavior knowing that most cod players (squeakers) will fall right in line and pick the path of least resistance.

Maps from previous cods I considered to be pretty good (none of them close to perfect mind you):

MW3
    -Villiage
    -Mission
    -Interchange (I tend to like long sightlines)
    -Resistance

BOII
    -Raid
    -Standoff
    -Slums

If in BOII they had a Raid/Standoff/Slums 24/7 rotation I would have played the shit outta that.

I don't really care for any of the Ghosts maps tbh. I probably have the most fun on Warhawk. I like Stonehaven only for sniping and think Strikezone isn't garbage. Other than that the maps for the most part bore me.

Did you fuckers miss my novels? :p

18. Mojo

Mojo 8th Prestige

Yes we did Keyser

19. w2gMk

w2gMk All my pokemon have TM 87

Well, I like...
    Wetwork, pipeline, that one CoD 4 map that was all 1 road...

Dome, Makin, Asylum, Airfield, Cliffside, Hanger, Roundhouse, Seelow.

Afghan, the skyscraper one, Underpass, both snow maps.

Jungle

Bootleg, Outpost, All DLC from the last pack, Hardhat, Interchange, Dome, Mission.

Raid, Carrier, Yemen, Downhill, Grind, Hijacked, Standoff, Mirage, Drone.

Stormfront, Whiteout, Freight, Octane, Sovereign, Warhawk, Flooded, Strikezone.

These maps tend to have something in common. They are multileveled. More than ground level shit. They have areas where I can go with my sniper rifles, or just a knife. Maps I play and like have to have that quality in them. I need to be able to take the map, and use my opponants 2d mindset against them, such as the drain pipe, on flooded that you can climb up. A vks up there, you're set. No one is going to find you unless they really really try. The maps also need to have some sort of flow to them. People always run around a specific area on flooded again. either the garage, or the bar. Dome for another example, people flock to the center. However, dome isnt as multileveled as I'd like. The maps must also have the ability to be shotgun friendly, and by shotgun I mean fire, pump, fire. These maps are few, where I can do real man sniping, yet buck fuck people with a shotgun.

20. PinFlashBang

PinFlashBang Major General

For me, "favorite map" has more to do with game mode. (With the expectation of Drop Zone, for which is control mayhem the whole game, and I seem to always do well) I prefer smaller maps with less people. Love Team Tactical. Then, with smaller maps, turns more into chess. Gotta think about angles, cover and fields of view.

There are some common ones all ready mentioned, but there are 2 that standout, mostly as I had the best games in terms of nail biting, edge of seat type stuff. (I openly admit, I am more of a hunter than a rusher)

MW3, I LOVED the Face Off series and the map Grounded. Went for hours on that one.

and the one that might get me flamed, Wasteland. Hands down the best for Sniper Vs Sniper. Had some of the best sniper duels in that map. And no, not quick scope, ala Terminal... It was Hunting, waiting and guessing. Miss that.

21. IshTing

IshTing Stuff And Things

Crossfire?

22. Matt23

Matt23 General

I noticed you liked a lot of the competitive maps from Black Ops 2. Did you like Meltdown or Express? because they were competitive maps too.

23. rc10mike

rc10mike Lieutenant General

Ill say what doesnt make a great map...

Excessive head glitch spots...
    Excessive clutter preventing long sight lines...
    Is anyone tired of the "blown up" rubble map theme yet?!?

Most maps Ive enjoyed have all had nice open lanes throughout the map.

Maps used to have big open areas, now all maps are cluttered with crap and head glitch spots.

Open areas encourage running, because you dont want to be seen there. More open areas, combined with less head glitch spots = less camping.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  24. w2gMk

But open space means more camping because both sides will camp the sights like MW2 wasteland sniping. I do agree though, most maps in ghosts have no sightlines. I want sightlines where someone is so far away it is hard to hit them with a sniper rifle.

25. rc10mike

rc10mike Lieutenant General

Wasteland was one map. Only the really good snipers could hold down that map. It was never much of a problem IMO. It was a map where sniper skills actually worked. It was known as an actual sniping map for a reason. That being said, I personally didnt have issues with Wasteland.

26. Repeter

Repeter Sergeant

I am a sneaky rusher...more of a 'stalker' type, and even I loved Wasteland. It was a map that put two playstyles, the stalker and the sniper, at perfect odds against each other. I would go with a stealthy, fast loadout and just toilet bowl the map, picking off the snipers who were picking off my team. The rest of the lobby would be making these mad dashes for control of the center and it felt like the whole map was being used in a singular way. What I mean by that is that all the action flowed together, unlike some maps where some stuff was happening here and there.

Plus, Wasteland was so unique. Nowadays, it seems maps have a certain design to them that is too similar. I like how Wasteland forced one to play a certain way. Not all environments are equal and Wasteland drove that point home.

27. Mojo

Mojo 8th Prestige

Wasteland was one of my favourites in MW2, so many options as to how you wanted to play that map. [MENTION=8228]PinFlashBang[/MENTION] - a nailed on description of that map. Nice.

28. Repeter

Repeter Sergeant

This talk about Wasteland is making me jones for nostalgia. Does anyone know what happens if one puts the ole MW2 in the tray? Like, will my PS3 explode? Will reality be able to handle it? I just think it would be fun to spend an evening with those old maps, simple loadouts, noob tubes and killer killstreaks....oh yeah, akimbo'd SMGs and a back-up shotty would be fun to revisit too. :)

29. Mojo

Mojo 8th Prestige

I think the game pretty much belongs to the hackers now. You may be OK on a few lobbies though. I sold both my copies on 360 and PS3 :( I'm getting all nostalgic too.

30. Repeter

Repeter Sergeant

Lol, yeah...I tried to play it about 2 years ago and had a match on Bailout. More accurately, the match was played ON TOP of Bailout. Hack-o-rama. Still, I'm trying it out tonight, for lulz. I hope it doesn't explode my PS3 though.

31. PinFlashBang

PinFlashBang Major General

Holy cow... my bad.. I forgot. Wasteland was MW2. I admit, I was late getting into the COD series. I got into 2, not long before MW3 came out.... then I was behind again for almost a year off the current game title. I have a habit of that.

Someone touched on it... What ever the map is, I like a map that allows different styles of play to work well, and either style would work.

A good example to me was Grounded, the Face off map. You could play campy. Hide in the cave or the back end of the ship, and pick off the Patroller (Some might say stalker/methodic) or ambush the Rusher and if you were good, you could hang out for awhile. You could play Patroller (my style) and hang out in an area, always moving a bit, playing games with strategy. Force the camper to come you, or hunt him down and jump the Rusher. Or if you were a good rusher, your would run everyone over and push them around the map.

In a well balanced game.. it would be something along the lines of..

A good map, in general, wont favor a certain game style... it will favor the better player, regardless of style.

Game modes, will favor the player's styles. ( Example: Rusher = Kill Confirmed Camper= Search and Destroy/Rescue Domination=Patroller)

32. dusty101

dusty101 Captain

For me my fave map was fallen from mw3, i like greener maps, outside battles but lots of areas to go inside.

If I could create a map it would be about the size of fallen, it would take place in a small town that had been in the middle of a warzone, on both sides I would have wrecked buildings with say 2 or 3 levels, and a road running through the middle of it with various wrecked vehicles for cover, on one edge of the map I would have a small forest area with lots of trees and foliage (prob a fallen tree).

Running over the road would be a train track crossing where every so often a train would pass.

I would prob make an underground area to so you could cross under the road or railway.
    Prob make it so you could complete a field order where you call in air strike that de rails the train and changes the map slightly.

33. w2gMk

Except the riotsheilders. They get fucked no matter what. :biggthumpup:

However, what I have been seeing lately specially ghosts... is they do have maps that work for all styles... just... they make specific parts of the map itself work for 1 style. For instance, flooded. The car garage, perfect for SMG's, AR's. the patio restaurant, LMG's AR's. The office buildings, smg's shotguns, knives. The water way, you have the sniper pipe, which controlls all the center. The map can support all guns, but when I have a good map in thought... I want every singel weapon type to have an equal area of coverage that it can handle on the map. Snipers get... 25% of the map in areas it can work, all over the map. Shotguns get 25% of the map and so on. Some of the guns overlap each other, which is okay, but I don't want what flooded has up there, where an entire part of the map can be dominated with no contest on the area other than another of the same weapon.